Friday, October 24, 2008

Things are still moving along on the house. We're painting this week. The color selection was a little tedious and I'd been dreading it for some time. I like to think that I have a pretty good grasp of aesthetic values, but historicaly speaking decorating and color coordination falls to the womenfolk. We finally managed to come to an agreement on the colors, and though they don't tend to go well together, the colors that clash are behind walls, so they shouldn't be too bad. I did manage to get Tina to compromise a little, but we ended up leaning much more toward her ideal choices than mine. For instance, there is an interesting shade of green that will cover the living room walls, and I've never been a fan of green. In the end it wasn't so much which colors to choose, but exactly where to put them. One thing we've decided to opt for is a chair rail in the living room walls at least, and some sort of wooden border between colors in the bathroom.

I've acquired my sound system for my home theater. I made frugal choices going with a 500 watt JVC system available from Wal-Mart. I got a receiver, and then a 5.1 speaker system separately. The overall price counting mounting hardware, wiring, receiver, and speakers was under three hundred dollars. They camne in yesterday, so I hooked up a DVD player to play a CD just to test them. I was quite pleased. When I switched the cabling for a digital coax audio, I could immediately hear the difference. Thanks to Aaron for giving me a couple of really great RCA coax cables a while back. Though they're really meant for analog audio, as I found out they will transmit digital signal just fine, and I'm sure the other one will work to go to my subwoofer, since the supplied cabble is about five feet too short.

Of course as soon as the paint is on and dry, we can start the processes of attaching the outlets and laying floor. Then it will really get exciting. Of course meanwhile we'll be working on the septic system, and having the heating/air guys doing their thing. I'm still hoping to be in by the end of November, but we'll see.

No comments: